Wednesday, October 21, 2009

FDI: A Short Screenplay

Today's show is brought to you by my parents, who taught me to be ever-vigilant about grammar, punctuation, and spelling. In addition to the usual social capital benefits, this lesson has provided me with countless moments of mirth over the years as I discover amusing errors in other people's (and my own) writing.

For example, as I was wading through the introduction to a paper on the political economy of foreign direct investment this afternoon, I noticed a good one. The author, who shall remain unnamed since I am mocking him,* had the following to say about the effect of foreign direct investment on developing economies.

"FDI is also a means of generating employment--both directly, though the foreign firm, and through the indirect effects on the economy, such as domestic industries emerging to compliment the new foreign firms."

Without further ado, I bring you...

FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT: A SCREENPLAY
By Emily Clough

Scene: A developing country.

Domestic industry [emerging]: Hi there.

New foreign firm: Oh, hello.

Domestic industry: Your potential for technology transfer is very becoming.

New foreign firm: Uhhh, thanks. Um, I actually need some inputs from you so I can launch local production. Do you have any?

Domestic industry: No. But has anyone ever told you that your income projections really sparkle when you invest?

New foreign firm: [confused] Uh...okay. I just need some raw materials and manufactured inputs so that I can thrive as a domestic subsidiary of a multinational enterprise. Don't you have any of those things?

Domestic industry: [chipper] Can't say that I do. But you're cute when you search for sourcing opportunities.

New foreign firm: [frustrated] I thought when I arrived, domestic industries were supposed to emerge to complement my firm!

Domestic industry: I don't know what you're talking about, but your production plans are so clever and compelling! And I LOVE how your labor policy emphasizes your corporate ethics. Smashing.

New foreign firm: [exasperated] CURSES! WHY CAN'T POLITICAL ECONOMISTS SPELL?!?!?!


*Jensen, Nathan. "Democratic Governance and Multinational Corporations: Political Regimes and Inflows of Foreign Direct Investment" International Organization Summer 2003.

No comments:

Hit Counter